Thursday, January 25, 2007

I Don't Understand

Mystery #1: My husband's theory on underwear.

I love him, but I don't understand him. Earlier this week, he was dressing Ethan for school and asked, "Why do you put out clean underwear for him every morning?"

'Scuse me?

This seems to be a no-brainer for me, but K. is genuinely puzzled by this.

K.'s Theory:
He says Ethan just took a bath the night before, so he's clean... plus, he only wears them for a few hours.

Hmmm.

My theory:
1) Ethan is 3. Three-year olds are not neat, spotless creatures. This includes their underwear.
2) Better safe than sorry. He may not have wet the bed the night before, but he has been known (on occasion) to think he's able to wipe himself after a serious visit to the potty. He's getting better, but that's still not one of his most mastered skills. I'd rather not have his teacher find any surprises once he gets to school.
3) 3-years olds tell everything... like, "My daddy says I don't have to change my underwear." These confessions often come at inopportune moments, like in the middle of church.

I think my dad had a similar theory... which explains why my mom didn't often leave my dad in charge of getting us dress.

This also makes me wonder how often K. has sent Ethan to school without changing his underwear...

I used to laugh at my guy friends in college who were staunch supporters of recycling.... underwear, that is. They'd rotate wearing the same pairs of underwear until they felt like doing laundry... which goes a long way to explain the funk in the typical college male's apartment/dorm/etc.

I never dated those guys... but, you know, I don't remember asking K. to define his position on underwear changing when we started dating...

No comments: