Friday, March 02, 2007

How Sad Am I?

It's almost 11 PM on Friday night, and I'm blogging.

It seems that, on a regular basis these days, things come up every 2.4 seconds to remind me that I am getting older.

I don't like this.

K. says that I am stuck in college.

So? What's wrong with that? My college years were fantisimo!

However, here is how I can prove him wrong.

If I were in college, I would not be sitting at a computer at 11 PM on a Friday night unless I were googling where to go out that night. I would not be wearing running pants and a high school pageant t-shirt with my hair pulled up in what my stylist calls a "trailer park" updo. And, if I were in college, I certainly would not be contemplating going to bed right now.

My students do tend to keep me young; they are not scared to point out any fault I have. They, of course, are perfect and do not take it well if one tries to point out their faults in return. Still, despite their best efforts, I can feel myself entering the Twilight Zone.

I remember seeing some "older" women come into a bar where I was socializing as a young college co-ed. My friends and I laughed because these women were wearing power business suits... at 1 AM... in the middle of a bar in College Town, USA. We swore we'd never let ourselves become "those" women.

I am becoming one of "those" women. Now, granted -- you will never see me downtown in a power suit on a weekend in the middle of football season, but then again, I have a hard time staying awake past 11... so you probably won't see me downtown, period. Still -- I think the next major life event that I have to look forward to is retirement and grandchildren.

Uplifting thoughts on a Friday night from Happy Hannah...

No comments: